Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part? Sign in or apply for an account below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorfas11030
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012

Is there any way to apply filters to sounds in HighC? Like highpass, lowpass, bandwidth, bandstop, notch filters, etc.?
    Like if I wanted to use a bandwidth filter on white noise to cancel out all frequencies except within a 100 Hz range, is that possible?
    • CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012

Indeed, I had plans to allow associating filter banks, as well as "repetition" features to groups of sounds. Combinations of controlled repetitions and filters should have enabled practically all important sound effects, from echo, delay, reverb... as well as many sorts of physics-based audio synthesis.

While the concept is fairly easy to implement at the engine level, the problem is the UI: how to convey visuallly that groups of sounds are filtered, and let one control the various parameters of filters + repetition. Also, if repetition is used, how to avoid visual overload?

This has refrained me from working on those features, as I don't have good solutions right now. However, you're the first to ask: if others join you *and* you provide some constructive ideas of how to make it work, I should make it a priority, and that would motivate me to add some more features.

In the meantime, you can play with the "noise" waveforms: many of them are implemented as filters overs white noise.

Thanks for the feedback. If HighC was a tad more successful, I might consider doing this soon...
    • CommentAuthorfas11030
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

Thanks for the response!

Those all sound like great ideas-

Maybe if there was some way to "link" the sound to be filtered with a sine wave that could indicate cutoff frequency similarly to how the FM and AM functions work (ie. the vertical dotted lines with circles) and maybe the level/dynamics associated with the filter could be adapted to indicate attenuation/slope..

As for the ideas regarding delay and reverb - maybe if you had a shaded-in area indicating frequency ranges which undergo the processing, similarly to how reverb is illustrated in the graphic score for Ligeti's Artikulation if you are familiar with it ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hNl_skTZQ ) and again the level could be adapted to indicate mix, perhaps "linking" it to another sine wave could indicate some spatial parameter like the size of the space.
    • CommentAuthorsophocha
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012 edited

Is it possible to have VST plugin support in HighC? I`m not a programmer but there are so many free Vst plugins out there that you can incorporate.To my mind it`s easier to have a basic VST reverb or delay or a basic EQ with an automation parameter (having a nob or switch controlling the amount) rather than rewrite the program.Then you can choose a color or whatever graphic you like linked to the various effects (like the 'halo' cloud effect around sine waves in Ligeti Articulation pinpoints to a reverberated sound).