Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part? Sign in or apply for an account below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorNancy
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

I am new to high C , I am an artist that is starting to work with sound. I like to make long tone poems. My goal is to incorporate them into some 3-D work ...I am interested in the visual aspect of the High C program....is anyone painting with sound ?
    • CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012 edited

Hello, and welcome to HighC.

I must say, while Xenakis did advertize the visual/synesthetic nature of HighC, most successful uses for HighC end up being

- avant-garde music, based on non-tonal composition systems, where composers, who have an ingrained notion of the rules needed to make music, can break free in a system that does not enforce those rules, to explore in new possibilities.
    - educational uses, to let children and novice learn by themselves the rules of harmony/rythm music, in a system which is intuitive enough, but does not take them as granted.

As a result, the graphical capabilities of HighC are somewhat limited. The visual display in itself is often a bit dull. There are composers who have done some interesting research in this area still, using some graphical properties of an image to drive a composition.

You may be interested in:

- [d]espacio: acousmatic series on four Spanish constructions.
    - DN28
    - Simone Tormento
    - Some users discussing importing images to guide a composition

Please don't hesitate to post your work in this forum!