Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part? Sign in or apply for an account below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorfas11030
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012

Is it possible to get a scale indicator marked at very small increments like every 1 Hz or 5 Hz? What pitch scale definition would I have to enter to get that?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    • CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012

Here is a linear scale: instead of having a logarithmic progression, like our hearing system, the progression of its degrees follows linear intervals:

30Hz, 40Hz, 50, 60, 70, ... and so forth. At each octave, I remove some multiples to keep the scale readable. The notes include a complex notation system that reminds the harmonics present in each note, thereby allowing some kinds of tuning to be done. Too long to explain here...

I also tried a scale whose fundamental beat would literally be a heartbeat, with the idea that the tempo of the music would be automatically adjusted to match your heartbeat rate (so, 60-70 beats/min), and all notes would be multiples of this tempo. I never went till implementing it.

The first file is a usable scale you can cut and paste, the second one is a series of experiments you will have to copy from from.
    I'm trying to create a custom non-octave scale by entering the specific frequencies I want but when I apply the scale in the main window many (sometimes a few, sometime a lot) of the frequencies don't show up. Basically I want to create a grid of specific frequencies I can lock objects to.

Any advice?

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2012

I suspect the successive degrees of your scale are too close to each other to be visible. When 2 degrees on a scale are separated by less than 10 pixels, one of them is not drawn to avoid visual clutter. If you zoom in, you will see the 2 degrees separately as soon as they are more than 10 pixels apart.

If this is not the issue, can you attach (using the Attachments tab below) your scale to let me see the problem?
    I've tried this a few times and thought the same thing myself, but when I zoom in none of the missing frequencies are there.

For example, I'm trying to set a cluster of nine sine waves to the frequencies:
    600, 807, 1015, 1223, 1430, 1638, 1846, 2053, 2261

but only four (1846, 1430, 1015, 600) of nine show up when selecting that particular pitch-scale

This happens almost every time I enter custom frequencies. I set the reference frequency to 0 then enter, from lowest to highest, each specific frequency I want but only certain ones will show up.

[I haven't had any problems creating more conventional, octave-repeating scales]
    • CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2012

Actually, I just tried, and it works for me, when I paste the following line as a scale definition (and 0 for base frequency).

A:600,B:807,C:1015,D:1223, E: 1430, F: 1638, G: 1846, H: 2053, I: 2261

Is it the absence of labels (which should not matter, but who knows?)
    That seemed to work. Thanks!